Thor, the Norse God of Thunder, had a hammer named Mjölnir. Mjölnir was considered a fierce weapon that could level mountains and summon lightning with every blow. In this poetry blog, every Thursday, (Thor’s Day), Mjölnir will forge only song - sing of the mysteries and beauties of the world.

Thursday, June 20, 2013


THE HEDONIST

When you finish swilling your ice water
through a silver metal straw, hook me up
to a hypothetical experience machine, please!
So I might eat deep fried grasshoppers
for the first time and try on T-shirts
historians say were worn by Hitler,
or, alternatively, inhabit the habits habituated
by happy nuns. Let me take up residency
in Utah instead of Nevada,‘cause people
live longer in Utah, urbanologists say.
And why wouldn't I wanna I live longer, if I could.
Let me be a rambunctious harbinger of hilarity,
while still keeping my pants on
during morning commutes on public transport.
And be a collector of Wittgensteinobilia
to celebrate a man and a philosopher who was
irascible and melancholic to the core.
Let me be promiscuous with my use
of the word promiscuous and in my spare time
be a physician of the soul. Let me show valor
while passing through turnstiles.
Let me be the psychmetrician who will analyze
what happens when one extra minute is added
to the end of every colonoscopy.
Is it a happy ending or not?
Only the data knows.
And let me flex my orbicularis oculi
and my zygomaticus muscles
to show off my Duchenne smile.
You know the one I mean: the one
we make, quite involuntarily, quite naturally,
that is the sincerest smile we humans have.
The one where the corners of the mouth
curl upwards and the eyes crinkle like crow’s feet
at the edges. That one!
As a professed hedonist, what I want is
as many good moments as I can muscle my way into,
that have me discovering, promiscuously, my own
personal pleasure principle in the process.
I don’t want to fidget my way toward death.
I want to cluck and strut my way toward the gallows,
be as alive as I can be. And truth be told,
and if necessary, I’ll even wear a tutu and a tiara
on my way to the Emerald City.
I will, if it gets me to where I wanna go.


No comments:

Post a Comment