Thor, the Norse God of Thunder, had a hammer named Mjölnir. Mjölnir was considered a fierce weapon that could level mountains and summon lightning with every blow. In this poetry blog, every Thursday, (Thor’s Day), Mjölnir will forge only song - sing of the mysteries and beauties of the world.

Thursday, December 8, 2022

SONGS OF THE DAY

1.
Famished and bundled under blankets
my mother after a grueling cardiac stress test 
drank her butternut squash soup from a paper cup 
through a straw. She finished it in record time.

The sound of her slurping was a strange music 
I did not expect to hear in a hospital room
from a woman who taught me etiquette:
how to silently and slowly sip.


2.
rest in the moment,
get outside and

look at living things,
the wind blowing

leaves is good, 
the invisible visible.

These timely words
from a friend

flew into me  
like birdsong 

and alighted on the branches
of my soughing soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment