Thor, the Norse God of Thunder, had a hammer named Mjölnir. Mjölnir was considered a fierce weapon that could level mountains and summon lightning with every blow. In this poetry blog, every Thursday, (Thor’s Day), Mjölnir will forge only song - sing of the mysteries and beauties of the world.

Thursday, May 30, 2019

SCREWS

I sat in a room in the Neptune Society
with the door closed, waiting.
I waited among the myriad brochures
about death and dying, and among the prints
of classical paintings of peaches and cherubs.
I sat in that room at a baroque table
among empty ornamental chairs 
for fifteen minutes. I wondered 
what was taking so long.
Where had the attendant disappeared to?
What dark passageways did she have to traverse
to find my father?

Since I had time on my hands I imagined
the final scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark,
and that vast warehouse where 
the Ark of the Covenant was secretly stowed away, 
hidden from posterity in a crate
among so many other nondescript crates.

I imagined my father’s ashes in such a place.
I imagined he was lost, like the Ark was,
but in a drawer somewhere and fastened to a page 
of a massive book that housed the remains 
of so many of the recently departed.

When the attendant returned with the urn, she said:
Sorry that took so long.
We had trouble with the screws.
They were longer than usual.
It took two of us to turn them.

Somehow, given who my father was,
long screws and all the turning it took
to put him in his final resting place
inside the urn, made perfect sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment