Thor, the Norse God of Thunder, had a hammer named Mjölnir. Mjölnir was considered a fierce weapon that could level mountains and summon lightning with every blow. In this poetry blog, every Thursday, (Thor’s Day), Mjölnir will forge only song - sing of the mysteries and beauties of the world.

Thursday, May 16, 2019

THE MATTRESS

I was on the ground, on my knees,
deflating an earth-toned rubber mattress.
It was left behind when hospice came 
to collect their bed and after 
the Neptune Society had come to collect my father.
It was a cushion meant to keep him comfortable
and bed sores at bay as the end drew near.

As I kneaded the mattress with my knees, the air
escaped in deep exhalations, like the ones 
my father had made the night before
as my mother and I sat with him
in his last hours.

I had never been so close
to the act of breathing
to breath itself,
to the thin, fragile line
between breathing and not.
Never had I watched a breath
come and go so intently as I did
as I sat at my father’s side.

A shriveled shell that once buoyed a life,
provided creature comfort,
was all that remained
when the breathing finally stopped.
And with it also went, thankfully, 
my father's suffering.

Grief, I imagine, will fold over us,
my mother and I, in the coming days,
as we learn to breath in a world that no longer
includes my father and his breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment