Thor, the Norse God of Thunder, had a hammer named Mjölnir. Mjölnir was considered a fierce weapon that could level mountains and summon lightning with every blow. In this poetry blog, every Thursday, (Thor’s Day), Mjölnir will forge only song - sing of the mysteries and beauties of the world.

Thursday, May 5, 2022

CLIFF NOTES AND BREAD CRUMBS

Only now can I see
I had them
all along.
The cliff notes.
They’d been given 
to me at the start.
Plot points, leitmotifs 
even bits of dialogue
were all there.
Like bread crumbs scattered 
through a Grimm’s fairy tale.
I had them, 
the cues and clues
of what was coming,
what was waiting for me
deep in the dark wood.

A good story is only 
a good story if you
don’t spoil the suspense.
So I didn’t bother with the notes.
Instead, I borrowed a lie 
from a blind witch I met somewhere 
and said to myself:
I don’t read.
Saying this was like hearing 
the sound of a branch 
tied to a dead tree 
that beat against the trunk 
in the wind
pretending to be an ax.




No comments:

Post a Comment