Thor, the Norse God of Thunder, had a hammer named Mjölnir. Mjölnir was considered a fierce weapon that could level mountains and summon lightning with every blow. In this poetry blog, every Thursday, (Thor’s Day), Mjölnir will forge only song - sing of the mysteries and beauties of the world.

Thursday, January 12, 2023

INVISIBLE FENCES

A friend was randomly telling me 
about how their mother worked for a company 
that created and sold wireless systems 
that contain canines inside set boundaries. 
They do this via transmitters, and receivers 
in dog collars. When a dog moves beyond 
the range of the collar, the signal breaks 
and the collar beeps, vibrates or shocks the animal. 
These systems are called: Invisible Fences.

When this phrase entered my ear,
it was like I was hearing a high-pitched whistle,
it was like the hackles on my back raised up –
which told me I knew something 
about systems like this.

I have one. It was installed long ago
as a complex structure of limiting beliefs.
I am in the process of dismantling it.
Hidden inhibitors and restrictors 
have no place in my house any more. 
Containment is no longer a creature comfort 
I want any part of. I am ready to roam free.
The collar’s coming off.
I am done with receiving signals 
that tell me – go no further  
that shock me into submission.

This pup is going off leash.
I am installing a new system 
that cancels the cancelations.
No more broken signals, for me. 
It is all open field and wild play 
from here on out. Woof!

No comments:

Post a Comment