Thor, the Norse God of Thunder, had a hammer named Mjölnir. Mjölnir was considered a fierce weapon that could level mountains and summon lightning with every blow. In this poetry blog, every Thursday, (Thor’s Day), Mjölnir will forge only song - sing of the mysteries and beauties of the world.

Thursday, March 23, 2023


WEDDING DAY
 (for my mother on her 90th birthday)

Without the mirror inside
a camera isn’t a camera.

This photograph is like a camera
memorializing this special moment.

The mirror makes it so.
This is my mother

on her wedding day,
January 31, 1954.

I am eight years
from being conceived,

not even an inkling
in her mind’s eye,

and yet I feel 
in this moment 

as I look upon this image
that I am being made. 

That I am seen. 
That I am becoming real.

My mother’s refracted look, 
one of beauty, grace and possibility,

meets me so completely
I feel like a different kind 

of marriage is taking place 
between seer and seen.

As long as this photograph 
is in the world

and there is
someone to see it

there will always  be
a wedding underway

between my mother 
and whoever her beholder is,

between beauty, grace and possibility
and the intersection 

of the past and the present 
in the present.





No comments:

Post a Comment