Thor, the Norse God of Thunder, had a hammer named Mjölnir. Mjölnir was considered a fierce weapon that could level mountains and summon lightning with every blow. In this poetry blog, every Thursday, (Thor’s Day), Mjölnir will forge only song - sing of the mysteries and beauties of the world.

Thursday, September 26, 2024


BOYS, KALEIDOSCOPES AND BIKES 

Einstein, the boy, on his bike 

one day marveled at the rays 

 

of the sun. If he could ride 

on one of those beams 

 

of light, he imagined, it would

change his relationship 

 

to space and time. While on 

my back on the grass 

 

in a Nashville park 

the other day, the view 

 

above me had me feel

like a boy again, the one

 

that loved looking 

through kaleidoscopes. 

 

With an open focus I saw 

patterns, textures, and colors

 

above, moving through 

and across one other. 

 

I saw shapes and densities 

evolve into and out of 

 

each other. All of a sudden 

the idea of entering 

 

the quantum, which I had 

been thinking a lot about lately, 

 

felt like a possibility 

and a relativity I could 

 

actually create, in my own mind, 

like a boy on a bike might,

 

on a whim, decide 

to travel at the speed of light.

No comments:

Post a Comment