Thor, the Norse God of Thunder, had a hammer named Mjölnir. Mjölnir was considered a fierce weapon that could level mountains and summon lightning with every blow. In this poetry blog, every Thursday, (Thor’s Day), Mjölnir will forge only song - sing of the mysteries and beauties of the world.

Thursday, September 12, 2024

FROM FAITH TO FOLLY

Live oak lined

the marshland


on the road leading 

to the Atlantic,


to Folly Beach.

In the twisted branches


were the largest alabaster

flowers I’d ever seen. 


They looked like magnificent

magnolia blossoms 


at first glance. 

But they weren’t. 


They were egrets.

This congregation


had made these trees

their temporary perch.


If I were an agnostic 

ornithologist, I’d change 


their flock name 

to something more 


frivolous and less 

faith-based


so I could say:

I saw trees full of folly 


on my way to 

the edge of America.


No comments:

Post a Comment