Thor, the Norse God of Thunder, had a hammer named Mjölnir. Mjölnir was considered a fierce weapon that could level mountains and summon lightning with every blow. In this poetry blog, every Thursday, (Thor’s Day), Mjölnir will forge only song - sing of the mysteries and beauties of the world.

Thursday, May 16, 2013



THE RITUAL

I buried three dead balloons today
beneath a flimsy rope swing.

One last gasp
was all the air left in them.

They were the most beautiful balloons
I have ever breathed my breath into.

You do not need to know the particulars
of why I buried them.
Or why I buried them where I did.

Or why they were red.
Or why, with one touch,
they magically
became balloons again
after being something else.

What you need to know is:
what will you do when
your heart breaks open
and an ocean rushes forth
like a tempest…

How will you honor that ocean?
Hold it, thank it? —
before the squall clears
and the water is just water again,

reflecting the blue infinity
of the sky.



No comments:

Post a Comment