Thor, the Norse God of Thunder, had a hammer named Mjölnir. Mjölnir was considered a fierce weapon that could level mountains and summon lightning with every blow. In this poetry blog, every Thursday, (Thor’s Day), Mjölnir will forge only song - sing of the mysteries and beauties of the world.

Thursday, February 16, 2017

SKINNY DIPPING*

What if I didn’t try
to be right
or to win?
What if I just
hoped for
a fair hearing
and gave up thinking
you into the role
of Villain or Victim?
What if I set
my story aside
and started instead
with just the facts, ma’am!
so I didn’t kill safety
right from the start?

What if I went so far as to
disagree with myself
and plead to have you  
disprove my point of view also?
What might happen then?

Would you see that
I am not out to nail my
opinions on a medieval cathedral door
or chisel them into a granite tablet
as if they were dictations 
from a burning bush on high?

Maybe we’d be advocates 
instead of adversaries.
And maybe then, one fine day, 
in broad daylight,
we could strip down 
to our skivvies
and go skinny dipping 
in the same swimming hole
where we’d find ourselves 
entirely un-stung and unscathed 
after serpentining our way
down the thistle-fabled path 
of listening.

Inspired by Crucial Conversations,
by Paterson, Grenny, McMillan, Switzer


No comments:

Post a Comment