Thor, the Norse God of Thunder, had a hammer named Mjölnir. Mjölnir was considered a fierce weapon that could level mountains and summon lightning with every blow. In this poetry blog, every Thursday, (Thor’s Day), Mjölnir will forge only song - sing of the mysteries and beauties of the world.

Thursday, December 14, 2017


STRANGE PASTURE
     after Robert Rauschenberg

A taxidermist had already done his handiwork
when you came along and rescued me 
from a New York City shop window.

You cleaned me up, tended to my fleece,
married me with a tire,
daubed my snout with acrylics of many colors,
installed me at the center of a canvas on the floor
adorned with the detritus of the everyday: 
a strange pasture.

I became part painting, part sculpture.
A Combine, you called me.
An enigma open to interpretation.

Here I stand, your most famous survivor,
facing modernity like a monogram 
stitched into the tarpaulin of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment