Thor, the Norse God of Thunder, had a hammer named Mjölnir. Mjölnir was considered a fierce weapon that could level mountains and summon lightning with every blow. In this poetry blog, every Thursday, (Thor’s Day), Mjölnir will forge only song - sing of the mysteries and beauties of the world.

Thursday, January 24, 2019


THE SCENE
     for my father on his 65th wedding anniversary


We all have one.
A scene we revisit

The day my men and I,
nearly 300 of us in total, landed
in Thule, Greenland,

time and time again.
A story, a memory

after our six month assignment
of unloading a navy cargo vessel,
just forty miles shy of the North Pole,

we keep telling
because imbedded within it

who did I see on the dock
alongside the military band
the captain had ordered

is a message we desperately
need to hear:

to greet us but your mother.
The only woman on the dock.
All the way from California.


that we are loveable.
We tell it to anyone

I was literally and figuratively then
on top of the world. And more revered
than I had been the whole six months prior,

who will listen. Year
after year. And the older  


‘cause she was waving at me, her 
 husband, the commanding officer, a man 
barley twenty-one, and still newly wed.


we get, the more we tell it,
because we need to tell it.













No comments:

Post a Comment