Thor, the Norse God of Thunder, had a hammer named Mjölnir. Mjölnir was considered a fierce weapon that could level mountains and summon lightning with every blow. In this poetry blog, every Thursday, (Thor’s Day), Mjölnir will forge only song - sing of the mysteries and beauties of the world.

Thursday, April 4, 2019

SUN-KISSED

In high school I was an easy target.
Small, frail and afraid. Utterly breakable.
A field day for bullies.

One afternoon during lunch
as I stood among friends outside the gymnasium
it entered our little circle like a comet.
Hurled by one of my tormentors, the orange
exploded on the side of my head.
Juice and rind sprayed everywhere.
I staggered to stay standing.
My comrades took hold of me
and hurried me to the bathroom.

What I saw there horrified me:
a face all red, eyes bloodshot,
hair a pulpy mess.
I was a gruesome sight.
Unrecognizable.

While washing, the image in the mirror
delivered this command:

Change your life, now!
Show them how big you really are.

I heeded the advice.

In a year’s time I turned a paltry frame
into a suit of armor 
by obsessively lifting weights 
and eating like a hungry ghost.

Brawny, twice my original size,
and as strong as a forklift,
no one dared to taunt or cross me ever again.
Bullies were fawning to be my friend.

You can add mass to anything, if you will it. 
This was what I learned that day
when the little ball of sunshine
smashed into my skull. All these years later 
my ears still ring with this lesson 
like a melody as familiar and as foreign
as the music of the spheres.


No comments:

Post a Comment