Thor, the Norse God of Thunder, had a hammer named Mjölnir. Mjölnir was considered a fierce weapon that could level mountains and summon lightning with every blow. In this poetry blog, every Thursday, (Thor’s Day), Mjölnir will forge only song - sing of the mysteries and beauties of the world.

Thursday, October 3, 2019

THE TORTOISE and the VIOLIN

It is not a perfect instrument.
I sampled many before I bought it.

I chose it for its oaky-mellow
lower tones.

For the longest time though
when I played it

I couldn’t help but miss
what was missing:

the upper register
my other violins had had.

Funny I would long for something
that wasn't there

that I knew wasn't
when I decided to make it mine.

Walt Whitman said all this
another way:

And do not call the tortoise unworthy because she is not
something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment