Thor, the Norse God of Thunder, had a hammer named Mjölnir. Mjölnir was considered a fierce weapon that could level mountains and summon lightning with every blow. In this poetry blog, every Thursday, (Thor’s Day), Mjölnir will forge only song - sing of the mysteries and beauties of the world.

Thursday, February 20, 2020

DIDEROT’S REGRET *

An old dressing gown.
A cave of common cloth
and kindness.
A creature comfort
the animal I am
felt safe in.

The shift made my home 
a harmony
where every possession 
sang the same song 
and by heart.

I knew myself in it, 
in the mangy frock, and others
recognized me because of it.

How quickly I traded
this solace and second skin in
for something better
and more lavish,
when fortune rid me of my poverty
and humility—
and caused me to covet and crave
a red, red robe
that I had to make mine.

Who knew a tint of scarlet would
cloak everything outside of it
in depravity and obsolescence.

I went about trying
to remedy this error
by upgrading all I owned
with luxuries that would match
my stodgy, garish garment.
But the more I bought
the more dissatisfied
and disenfranchised I became.

Now I am wrapped in regret,
enshrouded in it and am a slave
to my old robe’s replacement,
because I became consumed
with consumption.

No one knows me anymore.
Least of all myself.


*Inspired by Diderot’s essay: Regrets for my Old Dressing Gown, 

No comments:

Post a Comment