Thor, the Norse God of Thunder, had a hammer named Mjölnir. Mjölnir was considered a fierce weapon that could level mountains and summon lightning with every blow. In this poetry blog, every Thursday, (Thor’s Day), Mjölnir will forge only song - sing of the mysteries and beauties of the world.

Thursday, September 1, 2022

THE PARABLE THAT COULDN’T*

I wanted it to lift me up
and out of my pain.

To free me of my suffering.
But it couldn’t.

It didn’t have the hydraulics
I believed it needed

to do the job
the way 

I thought it 
should be done.

It took a different approach,
by showing me 

I was not 
alone.

By showing me
we all carry
 
grief and loss
in our bodies 

like a weight 
we can’t shake.

By showing me we
are the mustard seed 

we are seeking.
We are the missing

ingredient our neighbors
can’t give us.

Only when we put down
the need to be lifted 

does everything 
get lighter.

Do our hearts 
get less heavy.

Do we rise.
Do we become 

the parable
freed 

of its pages
and binding,

that then simply  
floats away  

on the invisible 
wings of grace.

*To learn more about the parable of the mustard seed, click on the link. 



No comments:

Post a Comment