Thor, the Norse God of Thunder, had a hammer named Mjölnir. Mjölnir was considered a fierce weapon that could level mountains and summon lightning with every blow. In this poetry blog, every Thursday, (Thor’s Day), Mjölnir will forge only song - sing of the mysteries and beauties of the world.

Thursday, September 22, 2022

 FLUENT AS EVER

Everything now is a herculean effort:
           drinking water from a paper cup
            reading what’s right in front of her
            forming the simplest sentence.

And yet…
            when I hand her the phone to hear 
            the voice of her 94 year old boyfriend 
            the words are there 
            in a repeating stream: 
            I love you, I love you, I love you.

And, when 
            I leave her hospital room
            telling her I love you, Mom, she says
            so easily, so directly, so effervescently 
            smiling, broadly, with eye closed
            I love you more!






No comments:

Post a Comment