Thor, the Norse God of Thunder, had a hammer named Mjölnir. Mjölnir was considered a fierce weapon that could level mountains and summon lightning with every blow. In this poetry blog, every Thursday, (Thor’s Day), Mjölnir will forge only song - sing of the mysteries and beauties of the world.

Thursday, February 8, 2024

ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT

Like the image 
not yet risen 

from a darkroom 
developing tray, 

he came to me 
as the whisper

of a wave,
as the faintest 

of feelings. Gradually
he floated 

to the surface
of my being, 

of my body,
as a presence, 

as a spirit 
wanting to exit 

the liminal liquid. 
He wanted 

to enter the world 
as breath, as tears,

as the sound 
of deep sobbing.

And so 
he did.

My dead father
came through me today.

I gave birth to him
through my

morning practice.
I grieved him.

I remembered him.
I wished 

I could 
hold him 

in my arms
like a new born.

I wished 
I could 

rock and cradle him
in the deep well

of the love 
and gratitude

I now have
for all he gave me

that I could not fathom 
I was given

until recently, because 
I had been the “babe” 

for too long
and had been too busy 

with my own 
arrested development, 

too busy trying
to fill in the blanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment