Thor, the Norse God of Thunder, had a hammer named Mjölnir. Mjölnir was considered a fierce weapon that could level mountains and summon lightning with every blow. In this poetry blog, every Thursday, (Thor’s Day), Mjölnir will forge only song - sing of the mysteries and beauties of the world.

Thursday, July 18, 2013

BUOYANT

I am a life vest
lost at sea,
shipless and
and useless
without a body
to float,
to save.

Go ahead,
pluck me from the Pacific
with the hook-end
of an umbrella,
call the Coast Guard,
talk them telephonically
into the harbor and then
hand me over to that white vessel of whimsy,
bulging with giddy boys and girls
like an orphan to infants.

Watch me from the pier
(why aren’t you waving
or blowing kisses, or crying?)
as they take me out to sea,
into the grey horizon,
to some place
you can't see
or even further,
sadder now
than when you found me,
just there bobbing by the rocks,
along the shoreline,
free as a thing alone,
and buoyant all by itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment