Thor, the Norse God of Thunder, had a hammer named Mjölnir. Mjölnir was considered a fierce weapon that could level mountains and summon lightning with every blow. In this poetry blog, every Thursday, (Thor’s Day), Mjölnir will forge only song - sing of the mysteries and beauties of the world.

Thursday, October 26, 2017

THE TABLE

My great grandmother,
who spoke to leprechauns
as a girl in County Clare, Ireland,
whose voice was a song,
stood over me as I sat
beneath the dining room table
pushing a red fire truck
round and round
the table’s legs.
We made a game of
looking at each other,
while laughing uncontrollably.
I was four, she was ninety-six.
This memory is all I have of her.
The older I become I realize,
every pursuit, everything
I chase with a passion,
is an attempt
to return to this table.

No comments:

Post a Comment