Thor, the Norse God of Thunder, had a hammer named Mjölnir. Mjölnir was considered a fierce weapon that could level mountains and summon lightning with every blow. In this poetry blog, every Thursday, (Thor’s Day), Mjölnir will forge only song - sing of the mysteries and beauties of the world.

Thursday, February 1, 2018

THE SURVIVALIST

It is not Fort Knox
or the lost city of Tanis,
where legend had it
the Ark of the Covenant
was once buried. It is more
like a fallout shelter.
But there is no gold bullion,
lost treasure, food rations,
or medical supplies to speak of
in this underground bunker of mine.
What I have squirreled away
are the essentials
a different kind of survivalist
would stockpile:

anger, shame, grief.

I store them here, in this place,
to keep myself safe.
Little do I know though
that I have the makings
of a pressure cooker,
not a safe house, on my hands.
A land mind you might even say.

The only way to uncover the gold
or any kind of covenant
that may actually be hidden here
is to allow the anger,
the shame, the grief out,
to let them rise to surface, 
to daylight them, making sure, 
of course, no collateral damage 
or external fallout occurs 
along the way.

If I can do this then
there is nothing to survive,
there is no threat of a Doomsday,
and no dark cellar lurking in my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment