Thor, the Norse God of Thunder, had a hammer named Mjölnir. Mjölnir was considered a fierce weapon that could level mountains and summon lightning with every blow. In this poetry blog, every Thursday, (Thor’s Day), Mjölnir will forge only song - sing of the mysteries and beauties of the world.

Friday, June 5, 2020

 SOUL FOOD

Mayonnaise,
sliced banana and white bread.

A simple sandwich.
A depression-era delicacy.

A meal I make today
in homage to an ill-begotten angel.

With a heavy heart
I remove my mask,

lifting it like a curfew
that hides a riot 

and a virus inside--
a pale fragility

that plagues the soul.
On this mere morsel

I mean to feed, satisfy
an insatiable hunger

that lives within us all:
an epic appetite

for dignity and equality,
humility and humanity.

May the first bite I take 
be my prayer: that one day

what was once only “a family thing”
becomes a banquet, a moveable feast 

we all share together 
around the same healing table.

No comments:

Post a Comment