Thor, the Norse God of Thunder, had a hammer named Mjölnir. Mjölnir was considered a fierce weapon that could level mountains and summon lightning with every blow. In this poetry blog, every Thursday, (Thor’s Day), Mjölnir will forge only song - sing of the mysteries and beauties of the world.

Thursday, June 25, 2020

THE SERMON

I am a child
in my Sunday best,

in church, in a pew
behind a woman

with a wasp on her back.
The yellow and black body

crawls on her shawl
toward her neck.

The nape, so exposed, so supple
doesn’t know what’s coming,

but I do.
Will it make it there?

Will she jump when it touches her flesh?
Will it sting her?

Do I want it to?
Do I know?

These thoughts run through me
like a venom

as the minister at the pulpit
reads the homily—his voice,

escaping from its vestments,
is a buzzing I can hardly hear.

There’s a flicker, all at once,
in front of me, a fluttering.

The little body
lifts and bobs, ascends.

The spindly yellow legs
angle and dangle down.

I follow it with my eyes.
The tiny wingèd payload

rises toward the hive of light,
hollow above our heads.

This sight
is the sermon I saw.

No comments:

Post a Comment