Thor, the Norse God of Thunder, had a hammer named Mjölnir. Mjölnir was considered a fierce weapon that could level mountains and summon lightning with every blow. In this poetry blog, every Thursday, (Thor’s Day), Mjölnir will forge only song - sing of the mysteries and beauties of the world.

Thursday, November 18, 2021

PASSING GAS

Maybe the Big Bang
was just one epic fart,

a cosmic flatulence, of sorts.
I have gas, but mine is not  

of mythic proportions, 
thank god. At least 

that’s what I tell myself.
But maybe it is.

Maybe those trapped 
bubbles inside my belly

are nothing more than 
a deep desire for expansion,

like hydrogen and helium
had at the beginning of Time,

that gave rise to 
the stars and the planets,

the suns and the moons,
the constellations and the galaxies, 

all inside  
an expanding space,

a boundless belly.
Maybe all my bloating

is an intelligence
all its own,

roiling for the chance to join
with a source and force

greater than the body
and bubble my narrow being 

can offer. I am ready 
for that day to come,

for my own Big Bang moment,
a release of such a magnitude

that everything I carry inside me
that might be fuming or swirling 

finds its way free
and in that singularity

becomes lighter and brighter
than it’s ever been, 

and oh what a glorious 
heartburn that’ll be.


No comments:

Post a Comment