Thor, the Norse God of Thunder, had a hammer named Mjölnir. Mjölnir was considered a fierce weapon that could level mountains and summon lightning with every blow. In this poetry blog, every Thursday, (Thor’s Day), Mjölnir will forge only song - sing of the mysteries and beauties of the world.

Thursday, November 25, 2021

THE JUGGLER’S EYES

I didn’t listen to Rabbit,
who taught me how to juggle.

Stay away from the trees, she said, 
the branches will pluck

what you’re juggling
right out of the air.

I didn’t listen.
I just went right on juggling.

And for reasons
I didn’t quite understand

I became bewildered 
and befuddled by my

little circus act. And then,
sure enough, like Rabbit 

had predicted, a tree took 
what I had been tossing

up and down, from 
hand to hand, 

and left me empty-handed
with nothing to juggle.

I sat down beneath those branches
like the Buddha at the base

of the bodhi tree,
and waited—waited 

for the season to change,
for the tree to lose its leaves,

for the tree to give me back
what was mine. And sure enough, 

when autumn came,
the leaves fell from their limbs

and with them dropped 
what I had tossed 

too high. I picked the little orbs up
off the ground and put them 

where they belonged, back 
in their sockets.

It was then that 
I finally saw how 

blind I had been
to my own blindness,

and just had to laugh.
I howled like Coyote,

and was grateful,
so grateful, for a taste 

of my own medicine
and the genius in its trickery. 





No comments:

Post a Comment