Thor, the Norse God of Thunder, had a hammer named Mjölnir. Mjölnir was considered a fierce weapon that could level mountains and summon lightning with every blow. In this poetry blog, every Thursday, (Thor’s Day), Mjölnir will forge only song - sing of the mysteries and beauties of the world.

Thursday, November 3, 2022

EARLY WINTER FRUIT

Ripening takes time.
The persimmons in my backyard

are teaching me this:
the yellow-orange 

slowly darkening
with each day,

the limbs drooping
a little more

as the fruit gathers heft
among the green- 

veined leaves.
What I don’t know is

when do I harvest 
these plump orbs, 

pluck them from 
their gangly branches?

And…where else in my life 
is there a ripening  

that deserves my attention
that only a season

like this one can offer
so slowly, so meticulously?

Behind what branch
and leaves, is it hiding? 




No comments:

Post a Comment