Thor, the Norse God of Thunder, had a hammer named Mjölnir. Mjölnir was considered a fierce weapon that could level mountains and summon lightning with every blow. In this poetry blog, every Thursday, (Thor’s Day), Mjölnir will forge only song - sing of the mysteries and beauties of the world.

Thursday, June 9, 2016

BRAILLE

Rich Little, the great impersonator,
could do a John Wayne like no other, 
swagger and all.
And a “Tricky Dick” Nixon to a tee,
both hands held high in peace signs.

But did he ever do Morse Code?
I don’t think so.
I have a friend who can,
who did one night, 
all of a sudden, at a dinner party.
He took us by surprise when he
started skatting the “dits” and “dahs”
like a Beat Boxer, Satchmo and Ella 
all in one, as if the tones came straight
from the systole and diastole 
of own his heart.

Before the laughter had a chance
to die down, I said:
Now do Braille!

You should've seen the look on his face.
He went nearly pale. 
Then completely silent.
I stumped him.
I stole his thunder.

I thought I was so clever at the time.
But then later realized
it was really more of a question
for me than him—one that
I have been trying to
sort out for some time:

How do you take the sense of something 
that touches you deeply
and translate it into a form
that is so palpable
that another can feel it also,
like a language written out 
in goosebumps.

















No comments:

Post a Comment