Thor, the Norse God of Thunder, had a hammer named Mjölnir. Mjölnir was considered a fierce weapon that could level mountains and summon lightning with every blow. In this poetry blog, every Thursday, (Thor’s Day), Mjölnir will forge only song - sing of the mysteries and beauties of the world.

Thursday, June 16, 2016

SUMMONS

A jury summons
came in the mail.
Months ago.                                                  
This week I went
to the Superior Court.
And waited.
To be called. 
To serve. 
For the computer 
to randomly 
choose my name.
wasn't chosen.

But then I realized…

Every day I have the choice
to summon myself,
like Mohammad Ali did,
to be “the greatest.”
That I have a civic duty
to honor the inalienable rights
available to me 
and my Constitution.
Every day it is 
my choice to create
a more perfect
Union and to decide
and declare
my own State 
of Independence.

No comments:

Post a Comment